Visiting Rhodes by cruise ship for a day provides a wonderful opportunity to explore some of the island’s highlights.
Rhodes is known for its rich history, stunning beaches, and medieval architecture, making it a popular destination for cruise ship visitors.
Here’s a suggested itinerary for making the most of your day in Rhodes:
1. Old Town (Medieval City):
- Explore the Walls and Gates: Begin your day by walking through the medieval walls and gates of the Old Town. The Gate of St. Anthony and the Gate of the Naval Station are particularly notable.
- Palace of the Grand Master: Visit the impressive Palace of the Grand Master, a medieval castle that now houses a museum with exhibits from different historical periods.
- Street of the Knights: Stroll along the Street of the Knights, a cobblestone street lined with medieval inns and buildings from the time of the Knights of St. John.
2.Archaeological Museum of Rhodes:
- If history and archaeology interest you, consider visiting the Archaeological Museum of Rhodes. It houses a collection of artifacts from the island’s ancient past, including sculptures, ceramics, and more.
You can get a taste of all the high lights of the old town with the Mediaeval E-bike Tour
3. Mandraki Harbor:
- Walk along Mandraki Harbor and admire the famous “Deer Statues” marking the spot where the Colossus of Rhodes once stood.
- Take a closer look at the three medieval windmills at the entrance to the harbor.
4. Lunch at a Taverna:
- Enjoy a leisurely Greek lunch at a local taverna. Sample traditional dishes like moussaka, souvlaki, tzatziki, and Greek salad.
5. Acropolis of Rhodes (Optional):
- If you have enough time and want to explore further, consider taking an ebike guided tour to the Acropolis of Rhodes. Enjoy stunning views of the island and explore the ancient ruins.
6. Relax at the Beach (Optional):
- If you’re looking to relax, head to one of the nearby beaches, such as Elli Beach, to soak up the sun and swim in the Aegean Sea.
- Spend some time shopping in the Old Town’s charming streets. You’ll find a variety of shops selling local crafts, souvenirs, jewelry, and more.
8. Lindos (Extended Itinerary):
- If you’re on a cruise that allows for a longer stay or if there’s an excursion to Lindos, consider visiting this beautiful village with its Acropolis and stunning beach. Note that Lindos is farther from Rhodes Town but offers a unique experience.
9. Return to the Cruise Ship:
- Make sure to allow ample time to return to your cruise ship before departure.
Keep in mind that the suggested itinerary is flexible, and you should tailor it to your interests and the cruise ship’s schedule.
If you’re interested in historical sites, the medieval charm of the Old Town, and beautiful coastal views, Rhodes has a lot to offer for a memorable day ashore.